Heading Out

Seeking the winds that help to sail on Shakespeare's tide.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Winter Doldrums

We're in that part of the year that gives us the grey days, and often with them, the grey moods. After spending a fair amount of time over the past four weeks in charge of a small committee to give some direction to a campus effort, this is now done.

The charge related to the same topic as TOD, but, given the short time fuse, and the limited number of folk in the initial group, I chose to do something a little different. Starting with a sense of who was expert in what, I wandered around and chatted with them, and then, from that, built up a sense of what was possible. I then wrote this up and am only now calling the original group back to review the final document. What it ends up with is that the group that will do the work are largely the younger faculty as against the older faculty on the committee. Now we will see whether I can pull this off, or get quietly set to one side because I did not use the accepted procedures. If I had we we would just be sitting down for our first meeting, given everyone's activities over the break. And actually we came up with a totally different program than I would have expected before I went out and started talking with folks.

One of the results of this is the possibility that I might have to head up the transition, but it now appears that the ghost of the Prince Regent may not actually be exorcised, but rather will linger on, since he appears not to intend to move on to other pastures beyond the veil. And part of this exercise may be an effort to create a position for him, which, of course, may mean that I can move back. We will have to see.

Other than that I am relearning the modelling programs, since it would make some of my posts at TOD more understandable (I realized this while writing about Sago Mine last week). I am also trying to put figures into the models, and using Poser for this, but that means learning Poser again (since I haven't used it for a couple of years). So with a couple of new contracts, and with our Indiana one just going to be extended, life is getting fraught again. And the Ohio contract presentation is next week, so I need to write that presentation before Friday.

So maybe it's the workload, or the let-down from getting that report out, but it is a little harder this week to get excited about this being the first week of the semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com