Heading Out

Seeking the winds that help to sail on Shakespeare's tide.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

"Gotcha !" said the cat

A couple of days ago the day started with the cat throwing up on the rug. Well the day went down hill from there, and while Wednesday was somewhat of an improvement it was also the day the Assistant Principal drove into the Actress's car as it sat alone and defenseless in the parking lot at the local school. I was, therefore, looking forward to today where my only real goal was to get a paper and a Preface out.

So after exercise (couldn't find the usual tape so tried one that required a dowel that I couldn't find) I wandered out and climbed into the car. A new day! And there it was, right in front of the windshield. The cat's latest offering. I just started the car and drove off!

Neither task was finished, there were just too many occasions when I had to go and take care of an issue. Grad students popping in for reassurance on trivial issues, more debate on how to get to Alaska etc.

There has been this little saga with Bryce 5.5. Monday night I could not load it since it was ordered through a secretarial account and I didn't have the password. Tuesday I had the password but the credit card had been rejected; Wednesday night the program downloaded, but the Expander program I had was out of date. So today I loaded Tiger, there went another hour, had it upgrade my Mail account, there went another half hour, and then finally could get the program to load. I haven't dared try and actually run it yet, and one of the "bonus package" programs has downloaded with some form of error.

So more in a spirit of disinterestedness than usual, I sat down to watch the British Elections. I can remember two elections in the past, in one I sat and listened by Short wave to the BBC as George Brown, deputy leader of the Labor Party lost his seat. In another a salesman was trying to get me to take out a subscription to the paper, and with a week to go before the election in the UK I challenged him to find a mention of it in the paper. He could not.

Times have indeed changed, since on a second display, I am watching the returns as they are formally announced, courtesy of the BBC and on my computer. Times have indeed changed.

4 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Today my husband was cleaning the floor and he saw something and thought, "what's that?" and picked it up and had to look REALLY CLOSE to realize it was... a tiny liver.

Cat gift.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Heading out said...

Your's is a more generous animal, I fear. Some of our earlier cats would leave up to half the animal (mice, baby rabbit, squirrel was the usual range) but not in the current generation.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Yes. She once left us the back end of a perfectly bisected mole.

A mole ass.

Heh. We still joke about the cat leaving mole asses around.

 
At 5:27 AM, Blogger Linux Unix said...

Cute blog! Please visit my dog breeders blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com