Heading Out

Seeking the winds that help to sail on Shakespeare's tide.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving

For the first time in over 30 years I did not cook our dinner, but turned it over to the next generation. And it was excellent, though I did take charge of the bar and after using the house wines for most of dinner (too long a story to explain) also served French equivalents that were better. With the Advocate and friend and the Discer and husband (who was in an earlier life one of my grad students) it was an interesting evening of the sort I had dreamed of in coming to the Academy.

I look at the pile of books sitting in an empty floor, books on Virtual Archeology, King Arthur, Sailing ships of War, Dudley Pope's book of guns, Oil War and the fate of Industrial Societies, Jack Whytes series, Yiddish with Dick and Jane, which together with the CDs that include in reverse order, Piaf, modern Sardinian. Beethovens Violin - by Kennedy, (the applause in which still annoys me), The Anonymous Four, The Harp Concert (Notre Dame and Missa Mexicana), Bach Masterworks, Galway in Japan, Milladoiro, Midwinter, Paul Winter, and some Brandenburg and some early Sardinian hill chants - not to mention the Nancy Griffith. They picked, I played.

There is no real way to convey how great tonight was arguing among ourselves, none of whom are wallflowers, we covered religion and technology, and movies and . . . but almost carefully and with understanding, backed away from politics and the raw feelings that underlay some of the comments.

And I did find an 86 Beerenauslase hidden in the dust, but I think I had kept it too long, and - though I did not confess it out loud - it was not as good as the '92.

I hope you all had as wonderful and enjoyable a Thanksgiving, we are blessed in our lives and our friends.

2 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to put this site up. I've bookmarked it and will be back to spend some more time here.

Check out my thanksgiving clip art related site at http://holiday-stories-and-poetry.com.

John

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous thanksgiving said...

Dear Heading out,

One of the article groups on my site is Home and Family ... while searching for details on thanksgiving, I came across Happy Thanksgiving .

It is widely accepted that a lot of the best articles on the internet is created by individuals who blog ... good quality content without the bias and waffle often found elsewhere.

Judging by your blog content I believe you are interested in thanksgiving, and will therefore find our Home and Family category to be of interest. I am frequently looking for individuals to submit articles on their pet subjects and help me to build the directory to everyone's benefit. As a contributor, you get the recognition of having your article published and seen by thousands of web users. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Few of us are gifted with the ability to write to professional standards of grammatical correctness ... as a result, many bloggers don't bother to have their articles published.

I accept articles written in an informal style that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I also welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I ask is that your articles do not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

There are no costs involved ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Kind Wishes
Emily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com