Heading Out

Seeking the winds that help to sail on Shakespeare's tide.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Neither Catholic nor Christian

In regard to the recent comments by some Catholic Prelates I am reminded of a small couple of anecdotes.

While a young lad in school in the UK we were asked by our Divinity teacher to find the new Commandment that Christ asked his followers to accept. As an incentive the teacher promised that the first to find the answer would receive a boost in grade of one level for the term. Being then, as now, a highly curious individual I spent the following Chemistry and Math classes at the back of the room rapidly searching the Bible. And as most of you are likely aware I found the answer at John 13:34 "A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another . . . " It has always struck me as the true defining feature of a Christian.

Thus when, as an undergraduate, I went to a televised transmission of a Billy Graham Crusade in the week that Jayne Mansfield (the English answer to Marilyn Monroe) had been killed in a rather bloody car accident (she was as I recall beheaded) I applied that criterion to Mr Graham's subsequent comments and adjudged that they did not fit the definition. And so as he continued to talk about signs I looked up and saw one - it said "Exit" and so I did.

I have the same conclusion about the comments of a fair number of folk that claim the mantle of being Christian, and then open their mouths and prove they are not. Sadly, but in keeping with historical tradition, this also includes such folk as some of the Princes of the Catholic Church at present, and am left reflecting that they, being wealthy in the power and respect that they hold, are also likely in time to run afoul of Mark 10:25 "It is simpler for a camel to go through a needle's eye than for a man of wealth to come into the Kingdom of God."

Oh I got a B in Divinity that term (which tells how poor a scholar I was for most of the time).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com