Heading Out

Seeking the winds that help to sail on Shakespeare's tide.

Friday, October 01, 2004

Missing the Debate

A week in Sin City, a lot more expensive than the last time I was there, but still behind in technology. The Amerisuites hotel required $0.50/minute in the business office to get you connected (hence no blogging) and the 20 Conference machines had a permanent waiting line of at least 3. Otherwise in a week where oil finally popped over $50 (so I can now take my sign down - 2 months early) the meeting went well. I watched a recruiter try and talk all the students in our booth into applying for jobs and companies were taking faculty to the Celine Dion Concert where the cheapest tickets were $175 - though I only found out about it afterwards. I contented myself with having one good dinner, though it got me into a discussion with the chef at Aquaknox about malt whiskies and why you couldn't really have a Glen whisky from Isla. (Hopefully they might now get one or two of the Island Whiskies).

What a snide comment on all these years in academia that it is one of the more memorable achievements of the week. Well the reason for the dinner was an e-mail that said that the Belgian contract was signed. So with all this success I come back to the reality of getting it all coordinated and without the brain or inclination to do it today. Due to the thoughtlessness of a colleague two students were left for me to pick up and take home from the airport - sigh - yup it was the one that got the concert ticket who left them. Thus not only did I miss the debate being on the plane, but did not get to bed until the wee hours. (Which has a second meaning for us old ferrets).

So I spent lunch watching the debate courtesy of the video feed from the NYT. This didn't allow pictures of any of the grimaces reported in the news, and with the tiny picture it was not much better than radio. So I did not get the great sense that Bush lost in the way that others have been commenting around the building and that the Actress commented first thing this morning. (And again when she stopped by to pick up my blood pressure cuff - which she now also want to use- from the office where I had been hiding it for the last couple of years). I thought that while Bush was repetitive it could have been spun out and didn't anticipate the much greater sense that he had lost that is evident from the comments in most places tonight.

For fun tonight's wine is a 2001 Central Coast Pinot - from Rex Goliath (the 47 lb Rooster) - better than it sounded, and better than the wine I had at the Fleur de Lys.

4 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airline low ticket
It deals mostly with airline low ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger freestuff2 said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a california plane ticket
It deals mostly with california plane ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Jani said...

This site gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other great Las Vegas stuff including info about lance burton tickets Check it out lance burton tickets

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Barton said...

This site gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other great Las Vegas stuff including info about tribute to frank sammy joey and dean Check it out tribute to frank sammy joey and dean

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com